Friday, May 16, 2008

Sioux-ner or Later

The big signing this week isn't one we haven't been expecting, as T.J. Oshie is off to join Lee Stempniak and the Blues (and yes, Lee Stempniak gets top billing from me, deal with it). Of course, Oshie was ready to go, and will bypass Peoria completely and make an instant impact with the Blues

I made a comment in my Rink Rat Rankings last season, inspired by the Soulja Boy parody Crank Dat Kosha Boy that someone needed to do something similar with T.J. and write "Crank Dat Oshie Boy." What I never mentioned was that I had the chorus of such a song kicking around in my head, but didn't like the original enough to write the whole thing. Here it is.

Oshie Boy at North DakOOOOOOta
Skating in to score a goal.
Watch him Crank Dat Oshie Boy
Right to the Frozen FOOOOUR
With the SIOUX!!!
(Crank Dat Oshie Boy)
The SIOUX!!!
(Crank Dat Oshie Boy)
With the SIOUX!!!
(Crank Dat Oshie Boy)
The SIOUX!!!
(Crank Dat Oshie Boy)

Now that he's signed, though, you'd have to change it to something like this...

Oshie Boy from North DakOOOOOOta
Skating in to score a goal.
Watch him Crank Dat Oshie Boy
And thrill St. Louis, MO!
For the BLUUUUUUUUUUUES!!!
(Crank Dat Oshie Boy)
For the BLUUUUUUUUUUUES!!!
(Crank Dat Oshie Boy)
For the BLUUUUUUUUUUUES!!!
(Crank Dat Oshie Boy)
For the BLUUUUUUUUUUUES!!!
(Crank Dat Oshie Boy)

If you're curious, I also had a Counting Crows parody about Miami's Ryan Jones that I can post, and I have the makings of a Barenaked Ladies parody about BU's Colin Wilson. If you're interested, post a comment, and I'll see what I can do.

On a more serious note, Oshie's former linemate, Ryan Duncan - also known as the only non-telemarketer ever to call me "Mr. Olshansky" - is staying at North Dakota for his senior season. Ryan has been a class act as long as I've known him, and I think he's making the right decision for his life, and quite possibly for his hockey career as well.

You can make the argument that Duncan is costing himself money in the short term, but the fact of the matter is that barring some awful injury (G-d forbid...wishes for someone's health are important enough to invoke His name), Ryan won't have much different a pro hockey career based on his decision to play this coming season at North Dakota or in the minor leagues (with respect, he's not going straight to the NHL). With that being equal, Ryan is making the right move, because the long-term value of his UND diploma outweighs the difference between his first pro contract were he to sign it now and when he signs it after the season.

Looking forward to seeing Ryan skate for the Sioux again this seeason.

No comments: