Saturday, March 29, 2008

This Is Why I Don't Make Predictions

I probably should have gone out on a limb and made some NCAA Tournament picks at some point this week. I was going to. I meant to. Other stuff kept getting in the way.

In the end, it's probably just as well. I would have wound up looking stupid.

OK, Michigan-Niagara was a slam dunk. That said, it's probably the only game I would have gotten right.

I would have figured the University of No Hardware to bow out early, but not in the first round against a Notre Dame team playing without its top forward.

I would have gone back and forth several times about Michigan State and Colorado College, but then I would have gone with the Tigers at home on the big sheet.

I would have picked St. Cloud to beat Clarkson...against my better judgement.

But now that I've said what I was expecting yesterday, here are a few thoughts for the rest of the weekend.

Denver beats Wisconsin, if for no other reason than that the Pioneers own the Badgers at the Kohl Center. If you need more reasons, try Peter Mannino.

North Dakota beats Princeton. Congratulations on returning to the tournament, Tigers, but it's time to go home.

BC beats Minnesota. I'd wonder how the Gophers would contend with the likes of Mike Brennan, Tim Filangieri, and all the other Eagle defensemen from Long Island, but Alex Kangas is the Gophers' starter these days, so I can't really make that joke.

Miami beats Air Force, despite the inspiring return of Eric Ehn. The Falcons are going to give the RedHawks one hell of a run, but Miami is too strong from top to bottom.

Michigan State beats Notre Dame As much as I'd love to call the revenge win for the Irish - who, of course, fell to the Spartans in last year's regional final in Grand Rapids - I think the champs get to try and defend their title, and Jeff Lerg may just play his way into the Hobey Hat Trick.

Michigan beats Clarkson. Clarkson is the first ECAC Hockey team other than Cornell to win a game in the tournament since 2000 (St. Lawrence), so good on them for that, but this Michigan team is just too doggone good.

And for tomorrow

Miami beats Boston College The RedHawks exorcise their demons...wait...demons? At a Jesuit school? How does that work?

North Dakota beats Denver I like Denver as much as the next guy, but I maintain that the Sioux are a Frozen Four team under Dave Hakstol until proven otherwise.

That gives us a Frozen Four of Michigan-Michigan State and Miami-North Dakota. Oh, wouldn't the CCHA-haters love that? I suppose it's only fair, though, after the WCHA had four teams in Columbus in 2005.

Michigan over MSU, North Dakota over Miami in a multi-overtime classic, Michigan over North Dakota for all the marbles.

One quick Rangers thought: I don't like Renney tinkering with the lines. It took most of the season to figure out how to get Jagr to work, and while the Rangers have taken three of a possible four points since changing things up (and having to because of the Gomez injury), I'd stick with the way things were now that Gomez is back in the lineup.

2 comments:

Eric J. Burton said...

I think I could have done better leting my Lab Dakota pick my brackets for me.

h*dizzle said...

dont hate on the gophers. they are just in a down season!! :)

jkkk interesting read on the blog!!!i like it!more ncaa hockey commentary!