Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The Stanley Cup Playoffs started tonight. The Frozen Four starts tomorrow.

Seriously, does it get any better?

Of course, I am in a much sunnier mood than I might be otherwise, owing to the Rangers' 4-1 win over the Devils tonight to take a 1-0 lead in the series and steal home-ice advantage.

To borrow from a New Hampshire fan's sign during the Hockey East playoffs, I present the following scoreboard for tonight.

RANGERS 4
DEVILS 1
ISLANDERS 5 OVER PAR

Scott Gomez was the big story, with three assists against his former team, but the players who stood out to me were Ryan Callahan, Henrik Lundqvist, Martin Brodeur and Brendan Shanahan.

I love Callahan's energy, and he seems to have a bit of a knack for turning that energy into shorthanded goals when given the opportunity on the penalty kill. Of course, on the play when he delivered his game-winner, the puck was pretty badly misplayed by Brodeur.

Now, in fairness to Brodeur, he played a fine game, and none of te other goals can really be considered his fault. But watching Brodeur mishandle the puck in most unBrodeurlike fashion is a reminder that he's on his way out. Coincidentally, Jeff Frazee left Minnesota to sign with the Devils this week, but the only Devils he'll play for in New Jersey are the Trenton Devils.

I actually do have one lingering question about Frazee...and no, it has nothing to do with whether the Islanders would give him problems. I do wonder whether he will have a better chance to be a success away from Minnesota. Some detractors of Miami have enjoyed pointing out that Jeff Zatkoff - also a recent departure from the collegiate ranks, having signed with the LA Kings - was Frazee's backup with the US Junior National Team at the 2007 World Juniors. What's often omitted in such discussions is that Frazee only took over the starting job after Zatkoff got off to a bad start, and played very well for the U.S. in that tournament, leading me to wonder whether Frazee may have just been a bad fit at Minnesota.

But I digress.

Getting back to the Rangers, Lundqvist was outstanding tonight, and how he wasn't one of the three stars is just a bit puzzling to me.

As for Shanahan, his goal and assist weren't enough to make him one of the three stars either, but he was involved in one of the best moments of the game. With time running out and the Devils' net empty, Shanahan passed the puck to Nigel Dawes as both players crossed the blueline, handing Dawes his first NHL playoff goal. It was a monumentally classy move by Shanahan, reminding me why, as much as I enjoy Sean Avery's antics (especially the way they piss off a certain Islanders fan I know), Brendan Shanahan is my favorite Ranger.

Shanahan, to me, represents everything that is good about hockey. The talent is obvious: that alone makes him a first-ballot Hall of Famer. However, the fact that he's still out there killing penalties at the age of 39, that he stops to sign autographs for just about everyone who wants one after games (his exit of choice is the Employee/Media entrance on 33rd and 8th; Avery uses that one too, but will only sign while walking, if at all), and that he thinks to give a rookie his first playoff goal when he has the opportunity are the things that show just how special he is. He's talented, tough, classy, and a great leader on a team that put its C on a guy who has turned out to be a captain in name only.

Finally, since I gave my Frozen Four picks this evening on Hockey On Campus, I may as well share them with you all as well:

Michigan vs. Notre Dame: To those who look to the regular season results to predict this one, I would remind you that the Irish hadn't beaten Michigan State in two regular season meetings, and that it took a late tying goal to force OT at the Joyce Center, and yet, the Irish topped the Spartans in Colorado Springs. I'd also point out that the Irish may be more acclimated to the altitude for having played in the Springs for the regionals...although that advantage is likely negligble, given how long it's been since the regionals. In the end, though, I still like the Wolverines. They have the goaltending (who woulda thunk it?), they have the veteran leadership from Kevin Porter and Chad Kolarik, and I just think they're a team on a mission.

North Dakota vs. Boston College: If I were Adam Burish - who was forced to wear a Sioux jersey on the Blackhawks' plane to Detroit for this past Sunday's season finale, due to having lost a bet with Jonathan Toews - I would have said, "Ah, it doesn't matter, you'll just lose to BC again anyway." That said, however, I think the third time is the charm for Dave Hakstol's team against the Eagles. I think Jean-Philippe Lamoureux's dramatic improvement this season is going to make a difference (especially against John Muse as opposed to Cory Schneider), and the makers of the now-famous pact - Taylor Chorney, Joe Finley, Ryan Duncan, and T.J. Oshie - will make their presence felt in this one. Nathan Gerbe will probably have a goal or two in this one, but I think North Dakota pulls it out, likely in overtime.

Final: North Dakota over Michigan. The older, more physical Sioux will wear down the Wolverines, and the Sioux will break through and capture the championship.

Of course, you all know from the regionals what my picks are worth...

No comments: