Friday, April 11, 2008

Sometimes, I Don't Love New York

I'm never missing the Frozen Four again, if I can help it.

I had a job interview yesterday (Yes, if you're scoring at home - or even if you're alone, as Keith Olbermann used to say - I'm still pursuing new full-time employment), and decided to spend some time in Manhattan afterwards. Of course, with the Frozen Four going on, I'd have to find a place to watch it.

Chris over at Western College Hockey informed me of a Michigan alumni club viewing of the second game, but besides not wanting to crash and take advantage of someone else's drink specials, I was more interested in the first game, figuring BC and North Dakota would be the better matchup.

Ha. That's a good one.

You know, after I wrote my last post, I thought to myself, "Gee, now that I picked North Dakota, they're probably going to lose, and when they do, some Sioux fan is going to claim I gave them the Kiss of Death on purpose because I'm a 'a little East Coast homer' or an 'East Coast tool,' or some other phrase starting with 'East Coast.'" Then, I thought, "Nah," and laughed.

In any case, I settled on ESPN Zone, figuring that since the games were on ESPN2, they'd have to show them there. I was right, more or less, except that the game was on a small TV on the highest level of their big wall of screens, while the NHL Network, which was showing a replay of the NHL Live radio talk show with no sound, was on one of the big screens. I wasn't the only one annoyed - a lovely young woman from Fargo was two tables away from me - but despite our complaints to management, they couldn't change the arrangement, because the TVs are preprogrammed.

Yes, that's right. They can't change the TVs at ESPNZone, even if it's that kind of ridiculous situation. Now I ask you: What kind of Mickey Mouse organization is so unresponsive to its...oh, wait a minute....right.

I left ESPNZone at the second intermission, figuring I'd watch what was left of the game, along with the start of Michigan-Notre Dame, at the gym. I go to New York Sports Club, which has individual TV monitors attached to the top of most of the cardio equipment, but the location I went to doesn't have ESPN2 available. In any event, it's not like there was much game left anyway.

After I got out of the gym, I headed to my favorite bar in Manhattan, Keats on 45th and 2nd, where I figured to watch the rest of the game. Unfortunately, I hadn't planned on the Mets going into extra innings, so I didn't get to see the second period, either (good thing the Mets won, or I'd really have been pissed).

In any event, I got to see the third period and overtime, and it seems like it was one hell of a game.

So now, we get Boston College and Notre Dame for the national championship. Given my horrible prediction record in this tournament - somewhat surprising, since I won the USCHO Staff (and friends) bracket competiition in 2006 - I will refrain from picking a winner.

All of that said, it is worth noting that even in bad years, Notre Dame has had good success against BC. It's also worth noting that Notre Dame's arrival on the national scene really began with last October's 7-1 win over the Eagles at Conte Forum (a game that, like tomorrow's game, I was originally supposed to be at, but plans changed). Then again, the third time could wind up being the charm for BC.

In any event, it should be an interesting game tomorrow night.

Tonight, meanwhile, in what should be another great game, the Rangers go for a 2-0 lead against the Devils. For those picking the Rangers in five, this is the game I think the Devils would be expected to win. Both teams have things to improve on tonight - upon further review, Brodeur really did have a stinker of a game for the Devils on Wednesday - but if the Devils can't win tonight, the series is over. I don't mean that in the sense of a sweep, but that if the Rangers win tonight, they will be unbeaten in regulation against the Devils in 10 games this season, and New Jersey's big guns have never really gotten on track against the Rangers. If they don't do it now, they're not going to do it, and while New Jersey could certainly get one or two wins based entirely on the brilliance of Martin Brodeur, they won't win the series that way.

As a side note, does anyone find it somewhat odd that of the three coaches the Devils have started the season with since the lockout, Brent Sutter is the one who weent the distance? I always thought it was kind of an odd pairing, with Lou Lamoriello being a big proponent of college hockey (founder of Hockey East, former Providence coach, etc.) and the Sutters being a family of major junior hardliners. But go figure, Brent got out of the regular season in tact. If this is a short series, though, I don't know if he'll last the summer.

4 comments:

Eric J. Burton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric J. Burton said...

Opps, I am no going to blame the loss on you Elliot, none of us are that talented. :)

The Eagles ran the Sioux out of the building and I felt that either UND was really going to play good or lay a stinker.

h*dizzle said...

my dad and his old hockey buddies from the U reunite every year at the frozen four regardless on the teams playing. its that great!

h*dizzle said...

ps i jinx teams too =( (and was hoping for a north dakota win)..since that didnt pan out i was hoping for UND...nope!oh well!now time for NHL playoffs and the draft!